The story of Francisvale started in Philadelphia on a stormy, cold, wintry night in 1897. That night, Dr. and Mrs. George McClellan were riding in their carriage to the theatre when they noticed a shivering puppy huddled under a snow bank by the side of the road. Stopping their carriage they adopted the dog on the spot and named him Francis. He developed into such a fine pet that Mrs. McClellan decided to do something for other stray dogs, acquiring the tract of land in Radnor where Francisvale now stands.
Through the kind generosity of neighbors, the property was expanded from the original 11 acres to the present 16 acres. Francisvale has been in continuous operation as a non-profit refuge for smaller animals since it was first incorporated in 1909.
Francisvale’s mission is a no kill shelter, accepting adoptable cats and dogs, providing loving care while looking for permanent homes.
- Sheltering and placing abused, unwanted and abandoned companion animals
- Educating the community to raise the public’s awareness of the plight of homeless animals as well as realizing the benefits of adopting an animal in need.
- Ensuring all pets receive any medically necessary treatment, including being spayed/neutered
- Placement in carefully screened homes
- Advocacy and outreach
- Manage and operate a pet cemetery
The History of Francisvale
Learn more about the history of the Francisvale Home for Smaller Animals in this short video produced by our friends at the Radnor Historical Society.
Find Us Online
Connect with Francisvale online through our social media accounts!